Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Re-finishing the Dining Table and Chairs

Finally I am back to painting.  I have done 4 different projects and I have three more I am planning on finishing in the next couple of months.  My largest project has been my table and chairs.  My dad gave me my parents dining table and chairs.  I have been looking on KSL for months, attempting to find a set I could refinish that was large enough for my family and guests.  So when my dad said he was getting rid of his set, I was happy to take it off his hands.  Here is what they looked like before:




It was very crowded in my garage with the table and chairs.  I took pictures the best I could.  Sorry for the glare from the sun!  I decided to put a primer on the table and chairs instead of sanding the whole thing.  I did some spot sanding and then I applied this:

It is an excellent primer that requires no sanding.  LOVE IT! And this is what they looked like after the primer was applied:



Then I painted on two coats of black paint and polyeurathane to seal in the paint.  I originally used a glossy sealant, but I could see everyone fingerprint from my family!  Here's the picture:

So, I sanded it off and reapplied another coat of black and a new satin sealant.  Here are the final pictures:






I apologize for the glare from the sun again.  The table is too large to move and whenever I remember to take a picture the sun is shining bright! I will upload a better picture of the table and chairs when I get a chance.  But for now this is what they look like!  I love the final outcome and now I have a table that is large enough for company as well as my family.  Now to reupholster all the chairs... :) I will post my other finished projects in the next few days!



No comments:

Post a Comment