Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Creating my own Shelves

I have wanted to make these shelves since I saw them shown on Studio 5 here in Utah.  For the life of me I can't find the blog of the lady who showed these.  I had her in my favorites on my blog, but I can't find it for some reason. 

Anyway, she got the idea from Pottery Barn.  I believe she used either 1x4 or 2x4 boards.  I don't know if mine are 1x4's.  I think they are maybe 3/4" instead of 1".  They had been the slates in my kids old beds, so when I got them new beds I thought they would be perfect to use for the shelves.  Here is the final look...

And here is them on the wall in my living room...


So here is how I created them...

I nailed two boards together and then nailed the molding on with small nails.  I just bought a basic molding from Home Depot to use as an edging.



I then sanded the whole thing and applied a white primer...


I then took my handy Burnt Amber glaze (bought at Kwals Paint) and a rag and I wiped the glaze on.  Make sure you use gloves when you glaze.  It can be pretty difficult to get off especially if it gets in your fingernails (I had a glove break on me before).





And here is the final product after the second coat...


Here is the picture of one of Pottery Barn's shelves...


Mine are a bit more rustic, but they are pretty similar.  And they cost me next to nothing to make.  And even if you don't have all the supplies, I know Home Depot has scraps for really cheap.  I believe these are $35 for 3 and mine were maybe $3 for all 3. 

I then added a Polyurethane coating to protect them from wear and tear.  After I let that dry for a few days, I used long screws and screwed the backs directly into the wall.  I thought of other ways to mount them, but considering any screw would be hidden with whatever I put on the shelves, this seemed to be easiest way.  Here is the final product on the wall before I put anything on them...


Right now I am still experimenting on what I want to put up there.  I definitely want my Thomas Kinkade painting up there and since it is fall, I added the fall dishes.  I want the picture frames too, but I still might change it up. 

We will see.  For the fall I will leave it this way, since it will all change for the Chrismas season.

After the New Year I will look at other ways to put the deco's and maybe change things up.  It was definitely fun to create these shelves and a lot easier then I thought and cheaper than buying them from Pottery Barn.  I plan on making more.  One for my bathroom, except it is a 1x6 shelf and a couple each for my kids to put their dance and Taekwondo trophies on.  If you have any questions about the process let me know and I will be happy to assist.

No comments:

Post a Comment