Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Converting flared jeans into skinny jeans!

I was going through my drawer of jeans and I pulled out three pair of jeans I hardly ever wear any more because of one big reason... they have shrunk too much at the bottom and being flared or boot cut jeans they looked silly with heels!  So, my good friend Syd said something about the Young Women in her ward making skinny jeans out of their flared jeans.  The light bulb went on in my head...  Here is what I did to sew my jeans into skinny jeans.  FYI... I am not a wiz at the sewing machine but my mom did teach me well, so I can definitely pin and sew using the pins as my guide.  Here is the before picture of my jeans...
I then took the jeans and turned them inside out and put them back on.  I pinned them on both sides exactly where I wanted the stitch to go...
I then carefully took them back off... yes OUCH if you dig one of those pins in you... and then I used a straight stitch on my sewing machine.  Here is the pictures of my sewing maching settings and my finished stitch...

Look how much I am taking off on these jeans on the bottom!  At least half if not more.  After I did the straight stitch I picked a jagged stitch to help hold it in place, just like the jeans had originally...

After this was complete I cut along the outside stitch and tada...


And here is the completed project!  They fit a whole lot better and they go nicely into any of my boots. 

I did this with three pairs of my jeans and now instead of rummaging through my jeans trying to find the right pair I have three more to choose from!  Plus, I don't need to go spend more money on skinny jeans... well, at least not yet!  HAHA!! 

Please share with others... I know I'm probably behind on the times and everyone else has already thought of this, but maybe not!  Until next time... 

2 comments:

  1. You made it look so easy in your pictures maybe anyone could do this. I personally saw you wearing the cute new skinny jeans you created and I thought they were new from the store they looked so professionally done. Thanks for sharing the step by step instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool. I'd do this if I looked half as good as you In skinny jeans.

    ReplyDelete